Monday, April 18, 2011
1.When you were little,what did you want to be when you grew up? has it changed?
When I was little I wanted to be a nurse. It has changed since I've grown up. Right now I'm considering getting into pediatric surgery. I've always known I wanted to help people, though. Just where that is going to happen is changing a little bit.
2. How has having a chronic illness affected me and my family?
Wow, where to start. It's affected me by just restricting what I can and can't do. I can't eat a lot of stuff, and didn't eat anything for 13 years, so that affected me a lot. I started eating now, so that just brings in a whole new level of crazy, just making sure everything is good and where it's supposed to be and I'm eating what I'm supposed to. Of course, being in the hospital and being sick more then other kids affects me. People treat you differently once they find out you're sick. And constantly being ready for a medical emergency isn't that easy either. How it's affected my family? I guess they have to put up with me being sick, take me to all my appointments, be there if I'm in the hospital and just make sure that I'm taking care of me.
Q:If you could meat ANY famous person,who would it be?
3. If I could meet any famous person I think I would choose someone who has over come their life challenges like Bethany Hamilton. I think it would be so amazing to meet them and learn from them and see how they overcame their challenges.
4.what's your favorite way to spend a Saturday?
Reading, writing and watching Grey's Anatomy re-run's on TV
5. If you could do one thing and not fail, what would it be?
I think I would want to do something crazy like ride a bull or skydive
So I interviewed Brittany,A fellow Starbrighter. Brittany has quite a few cronic illnesses(that she talks about later in this).
1.What I you dream Job?: I've ALWAYS wanted to be an artist. I LOVED creating things. My dream gradually turned to a pilot, and finally came to wanting to be an aeronautical engineer. Or a national geographic photographer. That would TOTALLY rock :)
2. What is the Greatest challenges living with a chronic illness? There are several challenges, but the biggest I'd say is the lack of normality. We're in and out of the hospital and doctors offices while others are off hanging out at the movies. Some of us are dripping with tubes and tape while others are free from backpacks, oxygen tanks, wheelchairs, and medical extensions. While our friends are at school, we're at home trying to keep up with makeup work. People are uncomfortable around us and spend more time asking us how we are and saying they are sorry we have this illness than joking and talking about the latest and greatest. People hesitate when asking if we want to hang out. Some of us can't eat, excluding us from a HUGE part of social life-much of which revolves around food.
3. Advice for others with the same problem: Hang in there. Life isn't as bad as it seems in the moment. Look for all the good things in life and focus on lifting others around you, helping make their day better. And have fun with those around you. If you're in the hospital, you can still have fun. Just remember this: Life is as good as you let it be. You can still have fun whether you have tubes and tape or not.
4. How the illness affects me and my family: Well, these illnesses-GP, CIP, chronic line infections, pseudotumor, tendonitis, asthma, and allergies-have had a HUGE impact on my life and my family's life. I've been in the hospital more than out, thus rendering me unable to start collenge. I've already missed a year. I can't eat, thus changing what I do in the day. I don't have to worry about eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner, so my schedule and daily events are different. I don't usually go down with my family for dinner anymore, mainly because it makes me sick to my stomach. When I go to dinners or social gatherings, I have to bring my sketchbook to act as a distraction from the food around me so I'm not just staring at people while they eat. That can get very awkward and weird. People tend to blush when you stare at them chewing...so I draw. Essentially, my life has been turned upsidedown. Now, in regards to my family, they have learned more medical procedures and terminology than the medical students who come in to examine me. They have to put up with my being in the hospital so much. My little sister, 13, has to act like an 18 year old. She knows how to cook, do laundry, iron shirts, and keep things running smoothly at home while Mom is with me in the hossy. In a way, my illness has brought us closer. We spend a lot of time together. We also have learned how to live in two different modes: Home mode and Hospital mode. Hospital mode has taught us how to live in two places at once.
Saturday, April 16, 2011
** yea i relized i don't get a whole lot of views..at all**
So i guess just comment what kind of stuff would be cool on here. If it is okay with the authors ill be posting the interiviews on here!
Friday, April 15, 2011
Sunday, April 10, 2011
When i could enjoy foods and not be sick.
When life was simpler without needles,pokes,meds.
When the world made sense.
I wish i could Be back to how it was before i was sick.
Before people saw my disease not me.
Before people made comments that hurt.
When life made sense.
I wish i could be back to myself,
I guess you could call this a vent,or feeling sorry for myself.
But i just wish On a star tonight that it goes back to normal,
but before i do i remeber how much good things have come out of it...
Starbright,Make A wish,Memories.
So i throw out that wish and continue fighting.
I will win,I will find a cure. No wishes,but fighting my way.
As I look across the horizon the sun glistened. Each step I took I became more and more nervous.
I looked down at my plate as my rusty fork clanked against my plate. “Kyle what is wrong?”
“What is wrong? Seriously pop i’m eating processed mush! I’m so tired of this dad. Life is getting harder and harder.” “Son, I know. But we need to make the best of it. “Yea dad whatever.” As I laid down the scratchy cot that laid in my family’s shack I thought about that book that a trader Ol’ Jim was talking about. He said it was located in the DC ruins, and that this book could change everyone’s life. I sat up in my cot, I look at ma and pop and Taylor sleeping. Could I really leave them? I stood up, my cot squeaking as I did I froze. I didn’t want to wake them up. I slowly walked to our “Kitchen” and I picked up a brown dust bag. I threw in a plate and silverware along with my old Johnny Rocket mug from when I was 6. I then went to the old cupboard; it creaked as I opened it. I kept panicking that my parents or Taylor would wake up. I looked inside and I grabbed my jacket and a few other things. I stepped outside, It was pitch black the only I could see besides my flashlight and out shack was the city, Paradise falls. I’ve never been there ma always said that it is no place fit for a kid like me. Well I was about so show her. I looked down the small hill we lived on to the cracked and broken streets, I figured I would be there by sun up.
When I finally got to Paradise falls it was about 6 AM, I saw an old man walking along the streets with a pistol. I couldn’t decide if I should approach him. I finally got the nerve I figure if he shot me then I don’t have to make that long walk to DC. I walked towards him when all of a sudden he turned around; his face was covered in wrinkles. He looked very old “Uh sir I need some help. Can you help me?” “Uh what? Hey you there! It isn’t safe to be here. What are you doing here?” he said in an old worn out voice. “Uh well sir I just came form that shack” I said as I pointed to where our little shack is, It looked like a dot form down here. “That old shack? It’s been abandon for years! Now tell me the truth. Are one of them raiders of the wasteland?” “No sir. It hasn’t been me and my family has been living there since I was born. Now I need you to tell me how to get to DC.” “DC? Now why would you want to go there? All it is ruins. Sure there’s a couple of old’ buildings but nothing excited now Vegas is where it is at!” Now I had enough teaching from Wonderers that Vegas was completely bombed and there was nothing, except for a few Raiders camps. “Sir just tells me is there anyone here in town that can help me?” “Oh yes. Go see Sue Black.” Glad that was, I walked towards the Saloon. As I walked in I got a huge whiff of Whiskey and smoke, I nearly gagged. I walked in towards the young girl who was serving drinks. “Well now that is something I don’t see every day. A new face. Where’d u come from?” “Uhh from that shack up on the hill.” I replied. “Ah... that dumps. Now you’re a little young to drink. Now I guess that isn’t my business.” She mumbled under her breath. “I’m not here to drink, although that would be interesting. I said hoping she would get the humor. “I need to find Sue black. Like now.” let me guess old man Harris told you about her? She’s been dead for three years. He lost his marbles when she died. Sue was his wife.” “Are you serious?? I need to get to DC! Like As soon as possible. Is there anyone that can help me?” “Now calm down there. First off what’s your name? I’m Ashley. My folks run this. They make me work though, kind of a punishment for running off with my boyfriend for a week.” She said as she rolled her eyes. “I’m Kyle and I don’t have time for chit chat I need to find a way to DC.” “Ok. Jason could help you. He was an Ex-Wonderer his parents walked the wastelands. Now I don’t guarantee anything, but he could help a little i'm sure.” “Ok where can I find this Jason guy?” “Blue building across the street. See yak later.”
I walked out, Ahh fresh air I said to myself. I looked across the street Old man Harris was still stalking the dirt road. I wondered why he did it. I wonder what happened to this town. I went to the blue house, it wasn’t to blue it was chipped and looked like it would fall apart If I poked it. I knocked on the door,as I did so I felt a splinter stab me. I looked at my dirty hand as I pulled out he splinter. “ Ouch.” I said to myself. Then suddenly a middle aged man showed at the door. “ hello. How may I help you?” “ I’m here to see Jason.” I said with confidence. “ Uh yeah okay, wait a second.” “ Jason! Come down here. By the way, Im Pete his dad what do you need him for?” “ I need to find out how to get to DC” I said just as a blond yound teen came to the door.
Saturday, April 9, 2011
It was a snowy,cold morning when i woke up. Of course i woke up early for it was my 13th birthday! I ran down our wooden stairs to the living room where mum,dad,Amit,and adam greeted me. In front of my face was a wonderul display of a warm breakfast,flowers nd presents! Mum got me this,the most wonderful diary ever! Dad got me golden nib pen with purple ink and black ink. It writes wonderfully. Amit,my older sister,got me a boquet of roses with a box of germen candys. yum! Adam,my younger brother,gave me a new yellow dress with a bow to match. It was wonderful morning,but i really must get going to school.
Wow! What a day I had on my birthday. At school my best friend, Abbie Waited for me with the most beuitful locket. It was gold and a gold chain and inside the heart was a picture of us on our first day of school this year. On the other side engraved was Abbie+Leah Best friends. Her father is handy with Jewarly so he probably helped with the engraving. Headmaster, Avi had a crème donut for me. Peter ,the most handomsest boy in my class, Had a single rose for me. Peter Rein is such a Gentleman. Sadly when I got home that day,I found out some terrible news. Our neighbors, the Zinns were taken away by the germens. It’s so horrible,they had 3 kids a 17,13 and a 9 year olds. I pray to god that they will be safe and we’re not next. Food and money is tight. I went with mum to go get some food,The germens barely gave us anything. I mean like we haven’t had a decent pastery in months! Mum says I shouldn’t complain so much,the people in the camps suffer far more then we do. But how shall I not? Dad gave me sad news also today, I wont be having my Bat mitzvah till after this war. I know it makes snese,its dangerous to even speak Yiddish! I cant wait till after this war.
Today was a exciting day. Harry,my dad's friend son,Came from England to Amsterdam! We had a english dinner,which wasnt very good considering we didn't have enugh food to make it strech so Amit added flour Ick! Anyways,We talked over dinner and enjoyed ourselfs. Harry always brings presents and this time was not a exception. Dad got a blue tie,it was silk and soft! Mum,got a beutiful broach. Amit,a green dress,Adam a Toy airplane. Last but not least,Me He gave my dad a hundred dollars. What for? A wonderful wooden desk! After harry went to stay with grandma Belle,His grandma, me and dad went across town to Jewish furnitures to get it. It is a wonderful oak color. Abbie and her family has run across hard times,They can hardly afftord anything. The neighborrhood shares as much rations as we can but it isn't enough. Abbie looks skinnier and skinnier everyday,and her poor baby brother frankie,is soo tiney.
Omi,Grandma,came today before Harry did. She looks so sick ever since Opa,grandpa,died. I worry about her and her health. I begged dad to let live with us,I'm sure being with her family will make her better but dad said we jut dont have enough money. When will this war end? It's grabbing lives quicker then we can save.
Today was a scary day! Adam,amit and I walked to school like always,Its only a few blocks away. As we walked we came across a burned building. Abbie stood there in schock, I asked her what had happend. she said,that the germens burned it down and we wil be forced to do schooling at home or walk across town the the Jewish school. I was so shocked,I dont want to walk across town!
this is all i have so far so enjoy